TREND WATCH: Facebook Fans Are Worth $174, YouTube Turns 8, #BostonMarathon Tweets
A Facebook Fan Is Worth $174
According to a new study by Syncapse and Hotspex, a Facebook fan is worth $174 to a CPG brand, up 28% since 2010. The study looked at Facebook fans and non-fans and their product spending, brand loyalty, propensity to recommend, media value, cost acquisition and brand affinity to arrive at the figure.
- $174 is the average brand worth. Brands with higher average purchase prices makes a fan more valuable. For example, the value of a BMW Facebook fan is $1,613.11.
- Three quarters of fans are likely to share good brand experiences and share promotions and discounts with their Facebook friends.
YouTube Turns 8
Tuesday, April 23rd, marked YouTube’s 8th birthday. Over the past eight years, YouTube has had over 1 trillion views – about 140 views for every person on the planet, during this existence. YouTube has over 1 billion unique visitors to YouTube per month and viewers watch more than 4 billion hours of video. YouTube’s mobile has tripled since 2011, accounting for 25% of all global views.
YouTube’s Most Popular Videos To Date (from all categories)
- PSY – Gangnam Style; 1,551,973,277 views to date
- Justin Bieber – Baby ft. Ludacris; 850,860,839 views to date
- Jenifer Lopez – On the Floor ft. Pitbull; 664,941,682 views to date
- Eminem – Love The Way You Lie ft. Rihanna; 555,790,453 views to date
- LMFAO – Party Rock Anthem; 535,749,062 views to date
- Charlie Bit My Finger – Again!; views to date
- Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) Official 2010 FIFA 2010 FIFA World Cup; 519,616,200 views to date
- Lady Gaga – Bad Romance; 516,595,766 views to date
Syracuse University professor, Anthony Rotolo, and student, Andrew Bauer, were working on a data analysis and Internet research project for the university when the Boston Marathon tragedy occurred. They realized they had access to all of the social media location data and decided to show “technology’s connection to the real world.” Together they created the #BostonMarathon map which displays as a heat map,, allowing users to click into specific areas to reveal tweets and photographs.
- “Even people who weren’t super familiar with Twitter and its capabilities could realize all these people were sitting in the area at the time tweeting these things that were happening in real time,” said Bauer. “I feel like it makes it just a little more concrete than just looking at a Twitter feed.”
- On April 15th, 2013, between 4:06pm – 7:04pm EST, there were 509,795 tweets with the #BostonMarathon hashtag.
M-Commerce Up 31% In First Quarter
Mobile commerce soared 31% in the first quarter from last year, increased tablet use and improved customer service played a major role in the jump. M-commerce currently accounts for 17.4% of total online retail sales, up from 13.3% from Q1 2012. Tablet traffic has climbed nearly 80% since last year.
Experts are saying, “This trend reflects markets’ ability to create a positive consumer experience for consumers shopping on their iPads and Kindles, by designing for the fingers and making it easier for customers to browse via their mobile device for m-commerce.”